As part of my ‘fee for hire’ offerings, I’m trialling an experimental consultancy service. I’m calling it ‘rapid fire consultancy’.
It’s based on the idea that many people don’t know what they don’t know when it comes to new media and digital culture. This is exactly the place I am at my most comfortable; I thrive on problem solving & troubleshooting between the arts & technology worlds. And if I can’t help you, I bet I will know someone else who can. All this bespoke pinpointing of information via a really informal, friendly conversation. It couldn’t be more simple.
How this works
1. You contact me to request a meeting, providing a basic introduction to your needs & (if you have them) expected outcomes.
2. We agree an appropriate rate, time & contract via email.
3. I visit your premises (or a suitable, quiet, location) to engage in a conversation. If this involves significant travel (more than a bus/taxi ride) I might ask you to cover travel/accom costs.
4. When we meet I will ask you a series of questions to get a feel for who you are, who your audience/customers are, what you’re trying to do, what you’re struggling with, etc. Those questions & subsequent conversation will result in suggestions/advice as appropriate.
5. I will record this discussion & transfer a copy of that audio recording as an MP3 file within an agreed time period. This recording will be given to you under a creative commons licence “NC:ND:SA”. That means you can do what you like with it except sell it or publish derivatives of it. This recording replaces any reports you might typically expect from a consultancy service, since the entire conversation will be in your hands whenever you need to refer to it. In return I will maintain a secure copy of that recording in case you need to retrieve a duplicate further down the track.
6. If I am unable to provide any reasonable assistance & you are genuinely dissatisfied at the end of our discussion, I will not charge you for this meeting. Please note that I will however not refund travel/accom if that has been provided.
Rates – negotiable. In certain circumstances some pro bono work might be possible. I’m also happy to consider bartering if there’s something you can offer me in exchange; try me.
Locations – anywhere. In some circumstances travel & accommodation may be requested. If a physical meeting is impossible, ask me about an online video or audio conference instead.
Rights – I will hold your information in complete confidence (unless requested otherwise). A copy of our recorded conversation will be provided to you under Creative Commons license NC, ND, SA. This enables you to post the entire conversation anywhere you like, from internal working computers to the internet. You are not, however, permitted to edit the recording or onsell any of its content.
Storage – I will store this recording in a secure location for up to 12months in case you require access to an additional copy. Additional copies will require a small administration fee to access and longer storage terms can be arranged on request.
Please note that the above is a description of a pilot service I will be offering from September 2011. It is subject to change at any time and each booking will be negotiated on a case by case basis.
- If you wish elements of our conversation to be made public (i.e. for promotional purposes) this can be arranged. Please make it crystal clear exactly what can be shared and where.
- In some cases I might be able to provide additional services or broker relationships between you and other parties. If this is the case we will discuss those requirements and any rates they might incur accordingly.
- Should it be required, I can also offer a more in-depth & attentive level of brokerage beyond an initial introduction. This might for example include being an intermediary through a series of meetings between you and that other party.
- Where appropriate, I might know people that you might find it useful to meet but who are not necessarily directly related to the issues you requested consultancy about. If this is the case I might invite you to join a specialist network where, given suitable conditions, I will facilitate opportunities for you to meet said people, either virtually or physically. More details on this will be provided as appropriate.
One of the great things about the digital world is that it can be a bespoke, personalised experience. Please contact me if you are interested in a different style of consultancy… I’m sure we can come to some kind of arrangement :)